Know Your Rights
Insurance Company Steering Is Illegal In Massachusetts!
Commonweath of MA Regulation 212 2.0.4
“(c) Contact with Claimant and Selection of Repair Shop. No staff or independent, appraiser, insurer, representative of insurer, or employer of an independent appraiser shall refer the claimant to or away from any specific repair shop or require that repairs be made by a specific repair shop or individual.”
Again, in Massachusetts you have the legal right to always take your vehicle to the repair shop of your choice. It is against MA regulations for anyone representing an insurance company to steer you to one of their insurance shops or away from the shop of your choice. They can not tell you that you can’t go to the shop of your choice, that they will not pay for the repairs if you do or that it will cost you more if you do. All of that is simply not true. However, they will try. Some of the things you’ll hear from insurance representatives after a car accident will be intentionally MISLEADING. Their motivation for doing this is to increase their profit margins, often at the expense of the quality and safety of your repair. They also may not pay for some necessary procedures that are critical for your vehicle. This is not in your best interest. They don’t have the right to do this, but we see it all the time. As an auto body shop focused on customer service, the highest of standards, is using the best systems, state of the art technology and prefers OEM parts, we always have your best interest in mind and we are not someone obligated to cut corners for the insurance company.
At Dewire Brother’s Auto Body, we’re dedicated to educating our customers about their rights after a car accident. We’ve been in the collision repair business since 1948, so we have the experience that consumers need to help navigate them through conflicting and confusing information provided by insurers. We work for you, not your insurance company. We are here to be your advocate for a safe, worry-free repair and hassle-free claim process.
We care about our customers. We’ve developed long-standing, repeat relationships with them over the years we’ve been in collision repair. We want to help you get the information you need to protect yourself from unsafe, low quality repairs. One of the ways we seek to do this is by providing you with these consumer resources so that you’ll understand your rights and avoid the steering that’s all too common in the industry today.
After all…It’s your car, it’s your choice.
- You have the right to have your vehicle towed to any location that you choose.
- You must notify your insurance company before repairs begin.
- You do not have to go to a drive-in claims center. Your insurer must inspect the vehicle at any location you choose.
- You do not need to get multiple appraisals.
- Your insurance company is responsible for payment to restore your vehicle to pre-accident condition.
- Your insurer must negotiate in good faith with the shop of your choice.
- You have the right to choose Hogan and Van!
- Exercise Your Rights! Don’t allow the insurance companies to make decisions for you. Don’t be intimidated. Steering is illegal in Massachusetts. Don’t allow insurance companies or agents to steer you to a specific shop rather than a trusted shop of your choice who will look out for you and your best interests. The practice of steering places insurance company profits ahead of you, your vehicle, and the safety of the public.